Thursday, August 26, 2010

Correction

In a recent post, I wrote that the service in Church is not for us, but for God.  I should have worded that more carefully.  Obviously the sermon, for one example, is for us. 

Perhaps a better way to say what I meant is that the services are not about us.  They are all about God.  They aren't to make us feel happy or inspired or excited or blessed, but to offer our love to God, to sacrifice our lives to God, to thank Him and to praise Him. 

Nevertheless, the Divine Liturgy is a form of being in communion with God, in Christ, and that communion, in turn, is our very salvation.  The Divine Liturgy is 'a sacrifice of praise,' but is is also 'a mercy of peace.'   

To clarify (maybe!  I hope!):  the purpose of the Divine Liturgy is not to do anything for us other than deepen our connection to - and much more than that, our participation in - the living of Christ's own, eternal Life.  But of course that communion in Him does heal us, does sanctify us, does bring us joy and comfort and hope, and in short, is our Lifeline, because it is His Life, shared with us.

(Hey, Pastor Weedon, I'm surprised you didn't call me out on this!)

0 comments: